Baths of Diocletian, Our Lady of the Sign. National Museum of Rome. The history of the creation of the Baths of Diocletian in Rome

National Museum Rome is one of the main centers of historical and artistic culture of united Italy. There is a stunning collection of ancient sculptures, mosaics, frescoes, and coins. The museum is not popular among tourists, but for good reason.

National Museum of Rome, photo Richard Mortel

The National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano) is a complex of four objects dedicated to Roman history:

  • Palazzo Massimo,
  • Balbi Crypt.

He's one of the best museums on the arrangement of the exposition, organization of work, convenience for visitors. The National Museum of Rome was created in 1889. It brought together numerous exhibits from the ancient period. The basis of the collection is the collection of the Kircheriano Museum, which received the collection of the Villa Ludovisi in 1901. At first, all the exhibits were located in the premises of the former monastery on the territory of the Baths of Diocletian. In 1990, the museum was reformed, and the collection was dispersed across 4 objects. Today the National Museum has one of the richest collections of ancient sculpture.

Palazzo Massimo

Balbi Crypt

Baths of Diocletian, photo HEN-Magonza

The Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano) are the ruins of ancient Roman baths not far from. They were erected in 298 - 305. In 537, the Goths destroyed the aqueduct and the baths ceased to exist. In 1561, Pius IV commissioned Michelangelo to reconstruct the territory of the baths. The Caldarium was rebuilt into the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri; the building of a Carthusian monastery appeared. Since 1889, some rooms of the Baths of Diocletian have been occupied by the historical part of the collection of the National Museum of Rome with a collection of Greek and Roman art. On three floors there are various artifacts telling about the development of the Roman state since ancient times. Collections of inscriptions and sculptures are exhibited in the halls.

Address of the Baths of Diocletian: Viale Enrico de Nicola, 76, 00185 Roma,
Website: www.coopculture.it.

Palace Massimo

Mosaic, photo David Morgan-Mar

Frescoes from the Villa of Livia, photo Devon D'Ewart

Palazzo Massimo alle Terme was built in 1883-1887. architect Camilo Pistrucci. The numismatic collection is located on the ground floor. Two floors of the palace are occupied by a collection of antique sculpture, and on the third – mosaics and antique paintings. I remember the frescoes on which trees, flowers and birds are painted, from the winter triclinium from the villa of Augustus’s wife, Livia. The pride of the museum is the frescoes of the Villa Farnesina. Sarcophagi are displayed in the halls.

Sitting boxer, photo @@@@@

“Sitting Boxer” is one of the masterpieces, a statue of the Hellenistic era of the 1st century. In addition to its artistic merits, it is an example of metalworking.

Address of the Massimo Palace: Largo di Villa Peretti, 2, 00185 Roma,
Website: www.museonazionaleromano.beniculturali.it.

Altemps Palace

Palazzo Altemps, photo mctl

Palazzo Altemps houses collections of art: the collection of Cardinal Ludovisi, consisting of 104 sculptures from the ancient period; the Egyptian collection, the collections of Prince Mattei and the Austrian Cardinal Altemps.

The Altemps Palace was built according to the design of Melozzo da Forli for Girolamo Riario in the 15th century. on the Champ de Mars, next to

Throne of Ludovisi, photo edk7

The throne from the Ludovisi collection is a masterpiece of Greek art from the 5th century. It was part of the altar of the temple of Aphrodite at Locrae. On the central bas-relief of the throne we see how Aphrodite is born from the foam of the sea.

Hall with Pergamon sculptural group“Suicide of a Gaul”, photo by M.Pardy

The Gallus Ludovisi is a marble copy of the bronze group of the great triumphal monument erected by Attalus I in the Pergamon temple of Athena c. 220-230 Gall kills himself and his wife. The sculpture is executed with detailed detail and expression.

Sarcophagus "Grande Ludovisi", photo GianJames

Another masterpiece of the Ludovisi collection is the sarcophagus “Grande Ludovisi” (II-III centuries), its height is 1.5 m.

Altemps Palace address: Piazza di Sant’Apollinare, 46, 00186 Roma,
Website: www.museonazionaleromano.beniculturali.it.

Balbi Crypts, photo by Christopher Mendes

The exposition of the Crypta Balbi houses exhibits archaeological excavations and is dedicated to the history of the development of Rome.

Address of the Balbi Crypt: Via delle Botteghe Oscure, 31, 00186 Roma,
Website: www.museonazionaleromano.beniculturali.it.

Working hours

Tue-Sun from 09:00 to 19:45;

Mon is a day off.

Tickets

Entrance to one of the 4 museums - €10.00; preferential – €5.
If the museum is hosting an exhibition, the ticket costs €13.00; preferential – €8.

The combined ticket includes admission to all museums (The Baths of Diocletian, Massimo and Altemps palaces, Balbi Crypt) and is valid for 3 days.
The total cost of a combined ticket is €12.00; preferential – €6.
If exhibitions are held, the combined ticket costs €15.00; preferential – €9.

At the time of buying online tickets on the website the cost increases by €2.

Under 18 years of age admission is free.
Every first Sunday of the month - admission is free.

Buy tickets in advance online:

Buy a ticket →

How can I save up to 20% on hotels?

It's very simple - look not only on booking. I prefer the search engine RoomGuru. He searches for discounts simultaneously on Booking and on 70 other booking sites.

Baths of Diocletian. About the popularity of terms in ancient world Evidenced by the fact that, for example, in the famous baths of Diocletian, about 3,500 people could bathe.

The use of thermal baths for hydrotherapy has been known in the Mediterranean since ancient times. In particular, the Greeks used thermal waters. This is evidenced by the mass archaeological finds, literary and scientific evidence. Bathing in hot waters was valued by the Greeks primarily because they believed in their divine origin. It is no coincidence that temples were built in areas of thermal springs, such as the Temple of Apollo at Delphi or the Temple of Olympus. Despite the fact that the ancient peoples were wrong about the origin of thermal springs, they were right about one thing: the water from them really has a positive effect on the human body. Advantages of hot springs and mineral waters Hippocrates praised it in his treatise “The Use of Liquids.”




The baths of Dioctetian have survived to this day in a fairly intact state, having, however, undergone reconstruction in 1566. One of the round halls was rebuilt into the Church of San Bernardo alle Terme

Human life is unthinkable without water. Water is a source of life-giving moisture, with its help we prepare food and, most importantly, after hard work we perform ablution, which brings us freshness, health and vitality to the body. It is difficult to say with certainty who, when and under what circumstances the first bathhouse was invented. A detailed written description of the baths was compiled by the ancient Greek historian Herodotus of Halicarnassus in the 5th century BC. e. He assumed that the first baths arose among different peoples almost simultaneously. One of the first to introduce the cult of baths were the Egyptians. These baths acted as medical institutions, since in Ancient Egypt Many diseases were treated with water. Egyptian papyri contain many recipes that helped women and men get rid of the signs of aging. Baths were the main means of rejuvenation and healing. The Greeks, in turn, adopted many designs for the construction of baths.


At the beginning of their existence, Greek baths were called “laconicums”, from the city of Lakonica, from where bathing procedures spread throughout Greece.

It is impossible not to note in our story a great fan of the baths of Herod, the king of Judea. His most famous building was the Northern Palace built in Masada. The baths of Masada were decorated with mosaics and marble and amazed with their luxury. They consisted of a changing room, a room with a swimming pool (also called a cool room), a warm room and a hot steam room (caldarium) with a double floor. The structure of the caldarium itself was somewhat reminiscent of a modern Finnish sauna. The king also had a special room for anointing his body with healing oils and incense.


In ancient Rome, baths arose according to the Greek model of baths, they were called thermae (ancient baths in Greece, in large houses). The first Baths in Rome were built by Emperor Agrippa (25-19 BC) and handed them over to the Roman population for use.

And the Roman Emperor Andrian, in turn, made the culture of visiting thermal baths widespread. He was the founder not only of the mass construction of public baths, but also the founder of the standard construction of public buildings. The heating methods and systems in its thermal baths still evoke the admiration of modern specialists. Water supply systems of different temperatures for swimming pools are strikingly complex. The popularity of baths in the ancient world is evidenced by the fact that, for example, in the famous baths of Diocletian, about 3,500 people could bathe.


Ruins of the Baths of Diocletian

But if the Greeks were one of the first peoples to appreciate hot springs, then the Romans were the ones who glorified this means of relaxation and healing. The ancestors of modern Italians did this through the massive construction of public baths. Thus, in Rome alone the number of public and private baths exceeded 800. In general, the Romans tried to build themes wherever they discovered thermal springs.



Baths of Caracalla

The most famous thermal buildings that have survived to this day are the Baths of Caracalla and the Baths of Diocletian. Looking at these buildings, it is easy to imagine how famous personalities rested in the baths: Pliny the Elder, Catullus, Vitruvius, Tibullus, Titus Livius, Horace, Martial and other prominent figures. The latter, by the way, dedicated a number of his epigrams to the baths. It is noteworthy that despite the big names mentioned above, the cost of visiting the baths was not very high. So they were available to all inhabitants of the Roman Empire.

The Baths of Diocletian is a structure that architecturally follows the shape of the entire city. It was erected in Ancient Rome and served as a bathhouse. At one time, 3,200 people could fit there.

Diocletian, as one of the ancient Roman emperors, dreamed of delighting his guests with luxurious festivities. It was here, at the end of the 3rd century AD. entertainment events, rich feasts and absolutely any entertainment that one could imagine were concentrated. And for the curious, it was possible to chat in the libraries, which were located right there.

The Baths of Diocletian were built in such a way that on any day the water was heated by the warm rays of the sun, and where it was needed it remained cold. Until the 6th century, the legendary Roman aqueduct functioned here, until it was destroyed by the Goths.

Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, angels and martyrs in Rome. Located on Republic Square.

Later, the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli was founded on the ruins here. The baths were reconstructed in 1563 by order of the pope. All works were supervised by Michelangelo. By the way, he was 87 then.

The Catholic Church with its high morals at that time on the ruins of an ancient Roman bath, where people indulged in all possible sins, from drinking wine to love games - this is truly ironic.

Roman physicians, including Galen, Pliny and Celsus, also spoke about the healing effect of thermal springs. They tried to discover the connection between diseases and the chemical and physical properties of water from thermal springs.

After the fall of the Roman Empire, many of its structures began to decline. Naturally, this also affected the terma, since the growing Christianity had a negative attitude towards these places, considering them inappropriate.


In the Middle Ages, thermal springs were used only for medicinal purposes. And in the 13th century their scientific study began. Many scientists were interested in the properties and qualities of water: Michele Savonarola, Pietro d'Abano and Pietro da Eboli. The latter, in one of his treatises, described in detail the healing capabilities of 35 thermal springs in the vicinity of Pozzuoli. Gradually, from treatment centers, thermal springs began to again acquire the status of centers of recreation and social life, acquiring resort towns. Representatives of the upper classes of Italian society spent whole days at the thermal springs.



Nolly's plan showing Baths of Diocletian

The modern popularity of thermal springs began to gain momentum again in the post-war years. Recognition of the real health-improving effect of thermal baths made it possible to include them in the national sanitary system and thereby expand treatment methods for the entire population.

sources
http://blog.design-class.com.ua
http://www.uadream.com

And the Baths of Trajan.
1.


This is what the baths looked like on the model.
2.

The model quite accurately corresponds to the plan of the thermal baths depicted in the ancient engraving.
3.

The thermal baths could accommodate up to 3,200 people; the gardens were decorated with fountains and pavilions. The water supply to the baths was carried out through the Aqueduct of Marcius.
4.

The decoration of the baths was also luxurious: marble cladding, unique mosaic floors, galleries with statues of gods and babbling fountains.
5.

The baths served not only as baths, they served as a place of relaxation, communication, and a center of cultural and social life of the city. Entrance to them was allowed to all free citizens. On the territory of the complex there were gardens with pavilions, fountains, marble sculptures, there were also meeting rooms, an amphitheater, a library and a gymnasium.
6.

Baths of Diocletian in modern form- this is the Republic Square, on the site of the central hall the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri was erected, some rooms are occupied by the National Roman Museum with a collection of Roman and Greek art. One of the round halls of the baths was rebuilt into the Church of San Bernardo alle Terme.
Part of the ruins was rebuilt as a museum in 1889.
7.

Thermal, or Diocletian, window is a window that is divided by two vertical posts (middles) into three compartments - the central one is wider and the side ones are narrower. Such windows are typical of the Roman baths of Diocletian. During the Renaissance, the great Italian architect Andrea Palladio revived thermal windows, reworking the ancient form into the so-called Venetian window. Since then, Diocletian's windows have become firmly established in the arsenal of techniques of Palladianism and its successors.
8.

Republic Square
Until the 1950s, the square was called Exedra. This name is still used among local residents. The old name comes from the large exedra of the Baths of Diocletian - a semicircular deep niche with a semi-dome. The shape of the ancient exedra is repeated in the colonnade that borders the square from the southwest. Semicircular palazzos with porticoes were erected in 1887-1898. designed by the architect Gaetano Coch. The facade of the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri overlooks the square. In the center of the square is the Naiad Fountain, created by sculptor Mario Rutelli in 1901.
9.

Naiad Fountain [41.9030117N 12.4984825E]
In the last decade of his pontificate, Pope Pius IX ordered and financed reconstruction ancient aqueduct Marcius, which was badly damaged by the Goths in the sixth century, and has remained unused since then. The construction of the new aqueduct was entrusted in 1868 to the company "Acqua Pia Antica Marcia SpA", which was for a long time one of the main suppliers of water supply to the city. The aqueduct was planned to end with a large fountain. The first version of the fountain was built in 1870 in a slightly different place from where it is now. It was a simple large round pool with a large number of jets of water directed towards the center. The composition ended with five vertical jets of water, the central one being much higher. A few years later, in 1888, the architect Alessandro Guerriri completely changed appearance fountain. It began to consist of three concentric circular cups at different heights, placed on an octagonal base. There was an attempt to install four lions, but it was unsuccessful and the project was abandoned. The next project, the work of sculptor Mario Rutelli, was built and opened in 1901. The Naiad Fountain was decorated with four nude female figures in bronze depicting Naiads: Nymph of the lakes holding a swan, Nymph of the rivers lying on the monster of the rivers, Nymph groundwater, lying on the back of a dragon, and the Nymph of the oceans riding on a seahorse.
11.

In 1912, the fountain finally received its final appearance with the installation in the center of the Glauco group - a naked male figure capturing a dolphin and symbolizing man's dominion over natural force. The central stream of the fountain emerges from the dolphin's mouth. The work was fully opened in 1914.
12.

National Museum of Rome [41.9030157N 12.4984127E]
The National Roman Museum was opened in 1889. The National Roman Museum includes the Museum of the Baths, which houses a collection of famous ancient sculptures: “The Throne of Ludovisi”, “Disco Thrower”, “Fist Fighter”, “Gaul Killing His Wife” and many others, previously located in the Baths of Diocletian and Caracalla.
14. Entrance to the museum

The museum currently has one of the richest collections of ancient sculpture. The halls of the ancient baths of Diocletian display collections of inscriptions and sculptures.
16.

19. Collection of antique masks

Museum garden
21.

On the territory of the thermal baths in front of the entrance to the museum you can also see several very original sculptures.
31.

The halls of the museum display many ancient sculptures, tombstones, masks and other ancient exhibits.
34.

Great cloister
40.

In the center of the large cloister, among the green spaces, various animals are looking for something.
43.

Small cloister
45.

The National Roman Museum today is a complex of five objects dedicated to Roman history: the Baths of Diocletian, Palazzo Massimo, Palazzo Altemps, Balbi Crypt and the Palatino Museum. This museum is considered one of the best in terms of exhibition design, organization of work, and convenience for visitors. One by one entrance ticket you can visit 4 sites: Baths of Diocletian, Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Palazzo Altemps, Balbi Crypt. The ticket is valid for 3 days.
46.

In 1563, by order of the pope, Michelangelo reconstructed the ruins of the central hall of the baths. The ruins were converted into the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The church is very interesting, with in-depth study of astronomy. A separate post will be dedicated to it, which I will publish in the near future.
47.

San Bernardo alle Terme [41.9036226N 12.4944699E]
San Bernardo alle Terme is a monastery church of the Cistercian order, dedicated to St. Bernard. The church building may have originally served as a spheristerium (ball game hall) that was part of the Baths of Diocletian. In 1593, this plot of land was bought by the niece of Pope Julius III and donated for the construction of the monastery. Its construction continued until 1598, the reconstruction of the church was completed in 1600.
48.

The structure of the church's dome is similar to the Pantheon, but is significantly smaller in diameter (only 22 m).
49.

Since 1670, the church has been titular; in the same year, the first restoration work was carried out: the interior decoration was updated, an organ was built in, the choir was improved, a fresco depicting St. Bernard. The last restoration was carried out in 2000. In the niches of the church there are 8 statues of saints by Camillo Mariani.
50.

51. Main altar

Altar of St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Altar of St. Bernard of Clairvaux is lavishly decorated with sculptures with ancient green columns. The altar painting "Vision of the Saints Flying in Ecstasy to Meet Jesus Being Descent from the Cross" by Italian artist Giovanni Odazzi replaced another canvas by Thomas Laureti.
52.

Altar of St. Abbot Roberio
Altar of St. Abbot Roberio, a pupil of the Holy Order of Cistercians, is decorated similarly to the altar of St. Bernard. The painting by Giovanni Odazzi depicts the Virgin and Child, St. John, St. Joseph and St. Roberto. Madonna puts a ring on her finger, a symbol of protection and devotion.
53.

Burial of Johann Friedrich Oberbeck, leader of the Nazarenes, artist, graphic artist and illustrator.
54.

In addition, very close to the Baths of Diocletian you can see a couple of attractions.
Obelisk of Dogali [41.9021613N 12.4974632E]
This is one of two obelisks brought from Heliopolis. The second is now installed in the Boboli Gardens in Florence. Initially, the monument was brought to the Temple of Isis in Rome. Found in 1883 by Rodolfo Lanziani near Santa Maria sopra Minerva. Currently, the monument is dedicated in honor of the battle near Dogali. The location of the modern obelisk changed from the square in front of Termini Station to its current location in 1924.
55.

Statue of John Paul II a work by Oliviero Rainaldi entitled Conversazioni (conversations) installed on March 18, 2011. Behind the monument is the central bus station of Rome (Termini station).
56.

Finally, for a better understanding, I suggest watching a video with a three-dimensional model of the ancient baths of Diocletian.

The ruins of ancient Roman baths - the Baths of Diocletian - were erected in the distant years 298-305 AD. In modern Rome, these ancient baths belong to. In addition to the baths, the museum includes three more objects, located separately: , Balbi crypt and.

History of the Baths of Diocletian

The Roman emperor Gaius Diocletian wanted to build the largest baths, which no others could compare with. This is how the baths appeared total area which, together with the gardens, occupied about 13 hectares.

Since 537, after the destruction of the aqueduct by the Ostrogothic king Vitiges, the baths no longer functioned as intended.

In 1563, on behalf of Emperor Pius IV, Michelangelo carried out a large-scale reconstruction of the Diocletian Baths. So the caldarium term was reincarnated into a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, angels and martyrs. The building of the Carthusian monastery was built. Thanks to such diligent reconstruction, these ancient Roman baths have survived to this day much better than others.

The Baths of Diocletian could simultaneously accommodate up to 3 thousand people. Very extensive gardens were decorated with fountains and pavilions. On the territory there were halls for holding meetings and sports exercises, and there was a library.

Museum at the Baths of Diocletian

Since 1889, the baths have housed a collection of Roman and Greek art. Overall, there is a lot to see and admire.

In the Baths Museum you will see not only Michelangelo’s masterpieces brought to life in the church and monastery, but also ancient statues, sarcophagi, reliefs, altars, tombs and much more.

How to get there

The Baths of Diocletian in Rome are located next to the Republic Square. Opposite Rome's main train station, Termini.

Working hours: The thermal baths museum can be visited from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9:00 to 19:30. The ticket price is 7 euros. Persons from 18 to 25 years old – 3.5 euros. On the first Sunday of every month, admission is free for visitors under 18 years of age. The ticket price includes admission to the rest of the National Museum of Rome. The ticket is valid for 3 days.

The Baths of Diocletian, the construction of which was completed in 303 AD, occupied an area of ​​13 hectares and could simultaneously accommodate 3 thousand people. In addition to pools with hot and cold water, there were halls for philosophical debates, a library, an amphitheater, and gardens with fountains and pavilions were laid out around.

Little remains of the rich interior decoration today, but still the Baths of Diocletian were lucky: their ruins were transformed into such architectural masterpieces as the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, designed by Michelangelo, and the Church of San Bernardo alle Terme. Other restored premises were transferred to the National Museum of Rome, whose exhibition contains an excellent collection of ancient sculptures.

Helpful information

Where are the Baths of Diocletian located?

The address of the Baths of Diocletian (the original name is Terme di Diocleziano) is as follows: Viale E. de Nicola, 79, Rome, Italy.

How to get to the Baths of Diocletian

The Baths of Diocletian are located on Via Enrico De Nicola, building no. 79. The landmark is the Termini railway station - the entrance to the Baths is just opposite it. The most convenient way to get here is by metro, line T.

Operating mode of the Baths of Diocletian

The baths open at 9:00 and close at 19:45. Day off is Monday.

Entrance fee