Topkapi Palace in Istanbul is the mysterious residence of the sultans of the Ottoman Empire and a real treasury. Topkapi Palace in Istanbul Access for people with disabilities

In Istanbul (Topkapi Sarayi) is one of the main attractions of the city. For 400 years, Topkapi Palace was the main residence of the sultans. From here, 25 sultans of the Ottoman Empire ruled the country.

In one of the courtyards of Topkapi Palace

A little history

It was built after the conquest of Constantinople in 1475-1478 by order of Sultan Mehmed II (the Conqueror). At first, the Sultan himself lived in the palace, official meetings and meetings, receptions were also held here, and in the mid-16th century, at the request of Roksolana, Sultan Suleiman I built a Harem in the palace, where women and children settled.

How to get there

Topkapi Palace in Istanbul is located in the center of the old city in the Sultanahmet district.

  • Take the T1 tram to the Gulhane stop and walk a little up, as if going back. By the way, there is a wonderful one nearby. Or get off at the Sultanahmet stop and walk down past Hagia Sophia.
  • If you are coming from the Asian side of Istanbul, it is convenient to use Marmaray and get off at Sirkeci station

Topkapi Palace opening hours

Opening hours of Topkapi Palace:

  • from 9:00 to 16:45 from October 2 to April 1, ticket office closes at 16:00
  • from 9:00 to 18:45 from April 1 to October 2, ticket office closes at 18:00
  • Topkapi Palace in Istanbul: excursions in Russian, ticket price 2020

    Another one of the key attractions of Constantinople, and there really are a lot of them, is the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. In this article, we will be happy to tell you its centuries-old history and share various practical information. For example, we’ll tell you about excursions to Topkapi, their prices and schedules, and if you want to visit the palace on your own, then about the cost of entrance tickets, as well as where you can buy them cheaply in advance, so as not to wait in a potentially impressive line! Make yourself comfortable and let's begin. 😉

    History of Topkapi Palace

    Topkapi Palace in Istanbul is the former residence of 25 sultans of the Ottoman Empire, who ruled the country from here for 400 years, from 1465 to 1853. Currently a popular attraction.

    Construction of the palace began on the orders of Mehmed the Conqueror and was formally completed in 1479, although in fact construction continued for a long time, and the number of extensions to the palace grew and grew. total area The palace's territory ultimately amounted to 700,000 square meters.

    The palace consists of several buildings with four courtyards connected by gates. The main entrance is considered to be the Imperial Gate, located on the side. The first courtyard includes the 18th-century imperial mint, the Church of St. Irene, with its armory located in its building, and the weeping fountain. Opposite the Imperial Gate is the Gate of Salutation, leading to the second courtyard and palace. From the Gate of Greetings one can go to the Gate of Happiness, through which visitors to the palace enter the third courtyard, which houses the harem, the inner chambers, the Audience Hall, the library of Sultan Ahmed III and the Palace school, where government officials were trained. Then you can go to the fourth courtyard, which is the personal garden of the Turkish Sultan, where the Bashlala Tower, the Sofa Mosque, the circumcision room and the room of the main palace physician are also located. From here they open beautiful views to the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn.

    In 1854, Sultan Abdulmecid I changed his residence to a new one, just built. Well, since 1923, Topkapi Palace, by order of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, has opened its doors as a museum. The number of exhibits presented to the public is 65,000 units, and this is only a tenth of the museum’s collection.

    Opening hours, entrance fee, Topkapi official website

    Opening hours: from 9:00 to 17:00 from November 1 to April 15; from 9:00 to 19:00 from April 16 to October 31. The day off at the palace is Tuesday.
    Cost of admission in 2020: the palace itself is 72TL (Turkish lira), the harem in the palace is 42TL. Read below on how to book tickets online to avoid standing in lines at the ticket office.
    Official website of Topkapi: https://topkapisarayi.gov.tr/en

    Topkapi Palace on the map of Istanbul


    The palace is located in the Fatih district of Istanbul, or more precisely, in the Sultanahmet quarter, where most of the key attractions of Istanbul are located.
    The exact address of Topkapi Palace: Cankurtaran, 34122 Fatih/Istanbul, Turkey.

    How to get to Topkapi Palace on your own

    The palace is located in historical center Istanbul - Sultanahmet district. If you have rented a hotel nearby, which in the case of a short-term trip will be the most optimal solution - you will not have to spend additional money on travel to the main attractions, then the easiest way to get to the palace will be on foot. By the way, look for a selection of inexpensive but high-quality hotels near Topkapi Palace in our article -. Well, to get to Sultanahmet from other parts of the city, you will need to take the tram to the Gülhane Parkı stop, from where the palace is a stone's throw straight through the park of the same name.

    If you don’t want to deal with city logistics during your vacation, you can always take sightseeing tour around the city, including a visit to Topkapi Palace. This is very convenient and allows you to significantly save time.

    Excursions to Topkapi Palace in Russian - prices 2020, where to buy

    You can visit Topkapi Palace on your own by purchasing tickets online or at the box office, or as part of one of the excursions. The easiest way to book excursions to Topkapi Palace in Russian is to use the services of a popular travel service. All excursions you will find there are conducted Russian-speaking guides for small groups of tourists, which is very convenient.

    TOP 3 excursions to Topkapi Palace

    • 1 place

      One of the main attractions that tourists will see during this sightseeing tour of Istanbul will be Topkani Palace. With the help of a Russian guide, it is easy to find out how and how the rulers of the Ottoman Empire lived. The chronicle of the palace contains 400-year-old chronicles, which mention the names of 25 sultans. The guide will tell you only about the most outstanding ones, and will also invite you to admire the interiors of the palace and its authentic treasures. The program will be complemented by the majestic Sultanahmet Mosque, Hippodrome Square, where the history of Istanbul was born, Hagia Sophia Cathedral - a silent witness to the “golden age” of the Byzantine Empire and the secrets of the Basilica Cistern.

      Cost of the excursion – 140€ for 1-4 people.

    • 2nd place

      While visiting the Topkani Palace, you will find yourself inside the “magnificent century” of the Ottoman Empire. You will walk through the intimate chambers and look at the exquisite interiors of the interior of the palace chambers, and also look into the holy of holies - the harem, to find out what the sultans' concubines dreamed about. Before visiting the Topkani Palace, visit the Hippodrome Square to trace the history of the fall of the Byzantine Empire and learn about the popular entertainment of the inhabitants of Constantinople. And after visiting the palace, you will find out who saved the Hagia Sophia from destruction, why the Blue Mosque became a symbol of the city, what Suleiman the Magnificent became famous for and what is walled up in the minaret of the Sulaymaniyah Mosque.

      Cost of the excursion – 120€ for 1-5 people.

    • 3rd place

      Once in the treasury of the Turkish padishahs - the Topkani Palace - you will find out what made Mehmed II order the construction magnificent palace on the shores of the Sea of ​​Marmara. You will visit the armory, a harem, a hall for storing jewelry, and a library with ancient manuscripts. The guide will help you imagine the events that took place within the walls of the palace throughout its 400-year history. In the exhibition of handicrafts made from precious stones, porcelain, gold and silver, talk about the techniques of creating wondrous masterpieces, and then you will have time to stroll through the wonderful gardens and parks of the palace complex. Will complement sightseeing tour in Istanbul, visiting the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome Square with its Egyptian obelisk, Serpentine Column and German Fountain.

      Cost of the excursion – 90€ per person.

    Other interesting excursions for Istanbul, look in our special article -.

    How to buy a ticket to Topkapi Palace online

    Almost all the attractions of Istanbul are very busy during the season from May to September, which can be an obstacle for those who want to visit as many places as possible in a short time, due to the permanent presence of queues at the ticket office. The situation can be saved if you buy tickets to Topkapi Palace online yourself. Or buy the Istanbul Welvome Card/Museum Pass, which includes tickets to several places at once - this way you can save a lot of money! So, let's understand the existing proposals. 😉

    Topkapi Palace is literally in the thick of everything that is most interesting in Istanbul, so once you finish exploring it, you definitely won’t have to think long about where to go next. And we, with your permission, will guide you a little. 🙂

    1. If you are tired while visiting the palace, then good place for relaxation afterwards there will be a place where you can sit in a cafe or just take a walk in the shade of the trees.

    2. After relaxing in the park, you can head towards Sultanahmet Square, around which the most popular attractions of Istanbul are located. For example, the most famous mosque in the city is. The big plus of Blue Mosque is that visiting it is absolutely free.

    Address: Sultanahmet, Topkapi Sarayi, Binbirdirek Mh., Terzihane Sk 7.
    Opening hours: from May to September from 09:00 to 19:00;
    from October to April from 09:00 to 16:00.
    Tuesday is a day off.
    Cost of visit: 10 EUR; Entrance to the harem is paid separately - 7.5 EUR$
    Russian audio guide - 5 EUR.

    Topkapi Palace - residence of the Ottoman Empire

    Istanbul - "The City of Universal Desire", as it was dubbed, is similar to a wondrous oriental fairy tale, in which the mighty Genie, released by someone from Aladdin’s magic lamp, united two continents in a loving kiss. It has become accessible, walking along the largest suspension bridge on Earth, connecting the shores of the Bosphorus Strait, to get from Asia to Europe. The city magnetically attracts countless tourists, captivating with the cries of restless seagulls, the enchanting music of the sea, dazzling with the grandeur of the palaces, the grandeur of the mosques, managing to appear somehow different every time.
    An unforgivable mistake, having visited the magnificent city, is not to take advantage of the unique opportunity: to look at a real miracle - Topkapi Palace- pride Istanbul, which has a lot to do with it amazing stories, incredible secrets. Here the life of many sultans and the incomparable Roksolana passed, who won the heart of Suleiman, becoming from a powerless concubine his beloved wife, to whom the great padishah was faithful until his death. Their graves are located nearby in the Sulaymaniyah Mosque. Her tombstone, like her husband's, is topped with a large turban as a sign of recognition as the Sultana.

    A little history

    The residence is located in a picturesque corner of Cape Sarayburnu, where the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus flow into the waters of the Sea of ​​Marmara. Strategically, the location was chosen extremely well: both continents are clearly visible from here. When pronouncing the word “palace”, the imagination pictures a luxurious building, but this building consists of a whole complex of buildings connected by terraces and courtyards.
    In the 15th century, when the Turks managed to capture Constantinople, Mehmed the Conqueror ordered the construction of the residence of the padishahs in this area, which turned into the great Ottoman Empire, where its heart beat. From here 25 rulers ruled in turn. Here they were born, grew up, indulged in entertainment, ascended the throne, overthrew many, mercilessly threw them into prison dungeons, and brutally killed them.
    For almost 4 centuries the palace managed to remain the Sultan's residence. In 1853, this mission moved to Dolmbahce Castle, built according to European canons, and Topkapi lost its former significance. Only widows or wives of deposed rulers remained to live there. In 1924, the building was handed over to the museum. The Istanbul monument preserves about 65 thousand exhibits from the rarest collection of the Muslim world.

    Journey through the palace complex

    On an area of ​​700 thousand m2, fenced off from outside life by a high wall, there were multiple buildings with courtyards, separated by walls. It turned out to be like a city within a city with a mosque, a prison, various pavilions, baths, a hostel and a school where employees and soldiers were trained. It was the cultural, administrative and educational center of the empire.
    In front of the entrance there is a closed building with a beautiful fountain, built by Ahmed III. However, its purpose is terrifying. After the execution in its waters, the executioners washed the blood from the tools and their own hands. And anyone who fell out of favor with the Sultan could be executed, even the heir to the throne. Since the blood of heirs was not supposed to be shed, pretenders to the throne were strangled.
    The executioners were treated in a special way: they were forbidden to have a family and were buried in a separate place. In most cases these people were deaf and mute. To prevent the secret from being revealed, their tongues were cut out. Opposite the ominous fountain there is a gate leading inside the buildings.

    First Court of the Ottoman State

    Passing through these gates, it takes your breath away, imagining distant times when the ruler himself flew through them on his horse like a whirlwind, returning home in triumph. Here the heads of executed people were put on display. Having passed Bab-i-Humayun, you can get acquainted with everything that is hidden from prying eyes.
    The vast area accommodates a hospital, a bakery, service and utility rooms are intertwined here with the Arsenal and the mint. The main attraction is the Church of St. Irina with wonderful acoustics, where they cried out to Allah in prayer. Nearby, in big garden, - a flower kingdom, exotic plants, fountains, gazebos, well-groomed alleys. In the shade of overgrown trees, peacocks once walked with their tails fluffed up, gazelles and fallow deer walked proudly and calmly. An intoxicating aroma emanated from the most beautiful roses, love itself was poured into the air, as passionate as that of Suleiman and Roksolana, who loved to relax in Gulhan among blooming magnolias. Now it is a magnificent park accessible to everyone. Next you should head to the Gate of Greeting.

    Purpose of the second courtyard

    Only the ruler and his mother were allowed to cross the Bab-usel (as the gate was called) on horseback; the rest of the inhabitants had to walk, but they too rarely left the palace space. Foreign ambassadors languished in front of the walls, awaiting an audience with the head of state.
    The paths run in different directions. On the right side there was a huge kitchen. It was necessary to feed a large number of people, so over 800 people were engaged in preparing food: cooks and cooks, confectioners who knew how to feed holidays up to 10 thousand people. Here you can get acquainted with kitchen utensils, a rare collection of porcelain, glass, and silverware made in China and Japan. Among the enormous variety, of particular interest is the sea green table set, which changes color if the food provided turns out to be poisoned. It was a gift from God, since many of the sultans were sent to another world in exactly this way.
    But the most significant place was considered the imperial council - the Divan, where statesmen gathered several times during the week to resolve and adopt important issues. In an exquisitely furnished domed room, a gilded lattice was installed above the place where the Grand Vizier sat. From the next hall, through it, the ruler himself vigilantly watched what was happening. No one knew when he overheard the conversation. The invisible eye of the Sultan served as a huge incentive for subordinates to conscientiously perform their assigned duties. Islamic architecture is distinguished by the incredible splendor of the ceiling, which is impossible not to pay attention to. Everywhere the ceilings are painted with the brush of a brilliant master with amazingly varied ornaments with a dominant red tint, decorated with stucco moldings filled with meaning: the dome is a symbol of friendliness, and the descending sphere in the form of a lantern means knowledge.
    Above the Divan, the snow-white Tower of Justice rushes into the sky, speaking of the constant vigilance of the Sultan, a formidable judgment that overtakes everyone without exception. Nearby are the Treasury apartments. From here you get to the women's section, reserved for concubines.

    Secrets of the Sultan's harem

    What was he like? Beautiful women, ready to please the sexual fantasies of their master, catering to all his whims, or bitter tears, lack of rights, arbitrariness and unbearable suffering? Both. In the Islamic world, this harem was the richest; only one sovereign could afford this luxury. Beautiful captives of various ages and nationalities lived here, captured during the war. They were presented as a living gift. About 700 beauties occupied 3 thousand rooms for various purposes. There were no Turkish women, but there were Armenians, many Croatians, Georgians, Slavic girls, there is a mention of a Frenchwoman who was the cousin of Josephine Beauharnais. “And the maidens there are fresher than the fragrant roses scattered in their wavy locks,” Byron wrote about them.
    They were given new names, taught the language, palace etiquette, oriental dancing, singing, playing musical instruments, and helped to master needlework. Many showed talent: they composed their own poems, like Roksolana, and wrote music. Each was given a small amount of money for personal needs, and artists were invited to entertain them.
    The art of love was taught here. This gave the odalisque, who enjoyed success, the opportunity to become the mother of the Sultan’s children and even his wife. If their master did not show interest in her for several years, giving her a good dowry, she was successfully married off. Such brides were highly valued.
    However, one should not paint harem life as overly sweet. Each beauty had her own responsibilities, there was strict discipline and a kind of hierarchy. The obstinate and rebellious representatives of the fair half were sewn into a bag and thrown through a stone chute into the bay. Ibrahim I distinguished himself with particular cruelty, drowning 280 women, receiving the nickname Madman. For the most part, the rulers were not cruel and despotic with their concubines; guilty girls were sometimes sent to the walls of the Old Palace. Eunuchs looked after them. These walls did not know orgies. Even the Sultan had no right to visit the female half without warning; he was obliged to report his visit. A cage with gilding does not cease to be a cage; when it got here, any one became the property of the ruler and freedom was only in the waters of the Bosphorus, where one was allowed to die.
    After the ban on the slave trade in the 19th century. girls came here at the behest of their parents (this was considered prestigious for the family) or they were brought by deception. With different characters and temperaments, it was almost impossible to create peaceful conditions for coexistence. The atmosphere was filled with envy, squabbles, intrigues, and all kinds of conflicts, because each sought not only the right to give birth to a son, but also to see him on the throne.
    There was constant supervision over both the odalisques and the heirs, because only one of them could take the throne, so the others were often mercilessly destroyed. The case of such a murder, based on true facts, is well revealed in the series “The Magnificent Century”. Suleiman gave the order to kill Mustafa, born of the concubine Makhidevran, suspected of treason. As the eldest, he was supposed to inherit power, but Roksolana wanted her son to take the throne. They say that the conspiracy was organized by her. The residents were outraged by the ruler's action, seeing in Mustafa the best, most worthy of all the brothers, more educated and wise.

    Third courtyard

    It was called the Inner Palace, you can get into it through the Gate of Happiness (Bab-us-saadet). This area, set in a lush garden with trimmed lawns, many flowers and fountains, was intended for the reporting of government employees. Foreign guests were received in the Audience Hall. The Sultan sat on a golden throne inlaid with emeralds, listening to the Grand Vizier speak about the work done. Those present sat down directly on the floor. The hands of the visited ambassadors were held by eunuchs to prevent unwanted actions.
    The library repository of Ahmet III was located nearby. Soft sofas beckoned to sit down and enjoy reading, and there was plenty to read. The library contained more than 3,500 different handwritten publications written in Turkish, Arabic and Persian. The manuscripts were moved to another building, but the opportunity was given to look at the Sultan’s clothing, formal and everyday, consisting of 2,500 items.
    A real treasury of jewelry made of gold, silver, rubies and emeralds, and pearls is also preserved here. The abundance of jewelry fascinates the eye. In reality, not in the picture, you can look at the armor of Murat IV, see his throne. The next room contains an unusual dagger. The handle is decorated with gold big amount diamonds, among them three large emeralds sparkle, one of them hides a watch. The third room is famous for its phenomenal value - the Kashikchi Diamond, weighing 86 carats, the gilded frame contains 49 diamonds. It has the shape of a drop, resembling a spoon.
    It ranks fifth in size in the world, ranking among the cursed diamonds, perhaps due to a strange, dishonorable appearance. According to legend, he was accidentally found in a pile of garbage by a poor fisherman. How could a beggar know what kind of jewel he had found? Why did the poor man need a stone? He, of course, wanted to sell it. The crafty buyer easily convinced the poor man that it was just a piece of glass, and the gullible man exchanged the find for three simple wooden spoons. What followed was a whole string of resales and exchanges; traces of him were discovered on French soil. It was rumored that Napoleon's mother owned it. One day the stone returned to Turkey, where it was noticed by the Sultan's entourage. But during this time it managed to acquire an evil reputation: its owners died a violent death. Perhaps this is the price of the injustice that began with the deception of the poor. Who knows.

    Pavilion with sacred relics
    There is a room here that you are allowed to look into, but it is forbidden to enter. She carefully keeps a tooth belonging to the Prophet Muhammad, hair from his beard, a sword and banner, the keys to the Kaaba, located in Mecca, but the most valuable thing is the prophet’s robe. Paying tribute to the saint, the Koran is read here day and night. Even members of the ruler's family were allowed to visit the premises only once a year, on the 15th day of Ramadan.
    A large swimming pool adjoins it directly, with a carved fountain in its center. Using your imagination, it’s easy to imagine how fun they splashed in clear water well-groomed seductresses, inhabitants of the harem, exciting the blood of their master with watery, provocative games.

    The fourth courtyard is the Sultan's refuge

    A cozy corner is reserved for the ruler. Here you can retire to a gazebo with a gilded roof, supported by four graceful columns, temporarily forget about troubles, enjoying peace and quiet, take a break from vain worries, anxious thoughts and surging problems. The sofa pavilion beckoned to lie down and relax with a hookah. Statues of wild animals were installed behind it. From the height of the marble terrace, framed by carved railings, where a light breeze plays, gently tugging at your hair, you have a wonderful view of the bay with ships sailing past.
    They say that this was the favorite place of Ibrahim I. At sunset, he stood here for a long time, looking at the quiet blue surface of the water, but even in moments of peace, left alone with himself, he did not lose his characteristic vigilance and composure.
    Being in this amazing palace, you feel like a spectator of one of Scheherazade’s wonderful fairy tales, and you really want to hold time between your palms a little, not letting it slip away, in order to watch this fabulous picture again and again...

    Guide to Istanbul on our website.

    Daria Nessel| Jul 24, 2017

    Topkapi Palace in Istanbul was the residence of the sultans of the Ottoman Empire for more than four hundred years. The whole life of a huge country was concentrated here, important decisions were made, ambassadors from different countries stayed here. This residence was the place of work and residence of the Sultan himself. Therefore, the Topkapi building complex spreads over a huge area.

    It includes everything you need - residential and outbuildings, baths, fountains, pantries, food preparation facilities, etc.

    An important place among all these palace buildings is occupied by the Sultan's harem; up to 1000 female concubines and wives of the ruler of the empire lived in it. Topkapi Palace in Istanbul has been operating as a museum since 1924 and is open to any visitor.

    Cat in the Harem.

    Photo by Rachel Mackay

    Topkapi Palace - history of construction

    The name Topkapi itself translates as “Cannon Gate”. It is not accidental, since at each entry and exit of the Sultan a cannon shot was fired. The residence had other names - “palace of tears” or “palace of crying”.

    Construction of the palace did not begin immediately. Mehmed the Conqueror, who captured Constantinople, initially settled on the site where Bayezid Square is located, and on the site where the construction of Topkapi began in the future, the Sultan's harem was originally located.

    The place itself was once occupied by an imperial palace during the Byzantine Empire, but by the time Topkapi was built there was nothing left of it except the Church of St. Irina, one of oldest buildings in the Stambul. As the palace expanded, the church found itself inside Topkapi. The history of construction can be divided into four stages:

    • 1470s, construction of the first buildings, which became the working residence of Mehmed the Conqueror and the rulers who followed him;
    • in the 16th century, the Topkapi Palace underwent major reconstruction due to the transfer of the Sultan's harem here;
    • Sultan Abdul-Mejdit I moved to another residence in 1854;
    • Since 1924, Topkapi Palace has operated as a museum.

    The most important events in the history of the palace took place under Suleiman the Magnificent and they are connected with the name of his wife named Hurrem or Roksolana. It was she who insisted that the harem be moved as close as possible to the master’s chambers.

    Photo by Rubén Hoya

    Hurrem in Topkapi Palace: legends and facts

    One of the most legendary personalities associated with the palace is the concubine who became the wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. According to one version, this girl was captured by the Crimean Tatars in one of the Ukrainian villages. Then she was sold into slavery, and then presented to the future ruler.

    It is believed that her real name was Anastasia Lisovskaya, in the West she was nicknamed Roksolana, and in the Sultan’s harem, for her cheerful disposition, she was given the name Alexandra Anastasia Lisowska (cheerful). Naturally intelligent, quick-witted and resourceful, Khyurrem managed to win the special favor of the ruler in the harem in the confrontation with his main wife Makhidevran.


    Courtyard in the harem.

    Photo nodog please

    There was a strict hierarchy in the harem, and it was not easy to get to the top. The first stage is the odalisques, who might never become the Sultan's concubines. Next came the gözde, who spent several nights with the ruler. From among them, favorites were chosen - iqbal. Usually there were 10 - 15 of them. He periodically slept with each of them. If Iqbal gave birth to a son, she ascended to the highest level and became the main favorite.

    The beautiful and charming Roksolana went through all these steps, attracted the heart of Suleiman so much that he fell deeply in love with her, sending Mahidervan to a distant province. Over time, Hurrem gained such a position that she received the title Haseki, which placed her even above the Sultan's siblings. Moreover, the Sultan officially married her, and this was contrary to the traditions of the Turkish imperial court. Alexandra Anastasia Lisowska received the official title of wife and after that Suleiman no longer knew any of the women.

    In the last years of her life, Alexandra Anastasia Lisowska acquired so much weight that the Sultan perceived her as his chief adviser, and while on campaigns, he received all the information about what was happening at court only from her. She received ambassadors and entered into correspondence with foreign sovereigns. According to one of the legends, Alexandra Anastasia Lisowska was most likely poisoned by one of the courtiers.

    Haseki gave birth to Suleiman many sons, among whom was his father’s heir, Sultan Selim II. Hurrem's chambers in Topkapi Palace are one of the most visited places inside the residence.


    Description of Topkapi Palace

    Topkapi Palace is located on a cape, which is washed on both sides by the Sea of ​​Marmara. In plan, it is an irregularly shaped rectangle, divided into four parts; the harem is especially highlighted, like another part inside the fourth.

    All structures are surrounded by a wall of two levels: external and internal. Visitors are allowed into the palace museum, but not everything is accessible to them, although they can go through the main premises completely.

    First courtyard of Topkapi Palace

    The journey to Topkapi Palace begins with the main gate, through which the sultans entered and left. Nowadays, any tourist enters it and ends up in the first courtyard, where the city’s oldest church in honor of St. Irene is located, as well as a mint and a fountain.

    Babı Hümayun / Imperial Gate

    The steel door, built in 1524, is the work of Isa bin Mehmed. On the side facing the first courtyard are inscribed Kelime-iTevhid (statements of Islamic faith), the signature of Mahmud II, the main provisions of reparations dated 1758, and the signature of Mustafa III.

    On the side facing the second courtyard are 18th-century Rococo arches. The premises on either side of the gate, which were previously used by security guards, no longer exist.

    Only the Sultan was allowed to ride through the Gate of Salutation, which leads directly to central part palace They currently serve as the main entrance to the Topkapi Museum for visitors.

    The first building of the State Council was a wooden structure, erected by order of Mehmed II (the Conqueror) (1451-1481). The modern arched structure arose as a result of reconstruction carried out in 1527-1529. (during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent) according to the design of the chief architect Alaeddin, as well as after a series of further successful renovations.

    The walls inside the room were covered with marble in the 16th century. Beautiful ornaments, arched porches and massive marble columns were also erected in the 16th century. The final touch that gave the council building its modern look, began the reconstruction carried out in 1972, during the reign of Selim III.

    The arched galleries were fenced with gilded mesh and doors with the addition of bas-reliefs in the Rococo style. As a result of the reconstruction of the building in 1819 (under the reign of Mahmud II), two poetic inscriptions were engraved on its facade. One of them belongs to Selim III, and the second to Mahmud II. And on the wall of the arch leading to the office of the State Council employees (Divan-iHümâyûn), the monograms of Mustafa III are inscribed.

    The State Council building, also known as Kubbeatly (Dîvan-iHümâyûn), consists of three departments, namely: the council hall, where important affairs of the state were discussed, the office of employees, where the decisions adopted in the council hall were recorded, and the registry, from where documents and records of resolutions were sent to the archives.

    Meetings of the State Council were held 4 times a week. The members of the council (approved by the Sultan as the highest authority), called the Grand Viziers, the Viziers of Kubbeatla and the Highest Military Judges of Anatolia and Rumelia (European and Ottoman Empire), were supposed to deal with state affairs, make decisions and announce verdicts in court cases. Sheikh ul-Islam (Şeyhülislam), the Ottoman Empire's highest official on matters of the Muslim faith, took part in some of the most important meetings after receiving an invitation from the Council.

    The remaining employees were: the employee responsible for attaching the Sultan's monogram to decrees and other official documents (nişancı); treasurer (defterdar); Head of Employees and Minister of Foreign Affairs (Reis-ülKüttab); writers of official communications, permits, licenses and certificates (tezkereciler) and clerks (kâtipler).

    At these meetings, government, political, administrative, financial and daily issues were discussed, and important public affairs were considered. The State Council of Ministers was also the place where the Grand Viziers received foreign ambassadors, and where the marriage ceremonies of the Sultan's daughters with their chosen ones took place.

    The rulers of the Ottoman Empire were not present at the meetings in the Hall of the State Council of Ministers (Kubbeatli). They spent most of their time watching the council meeting from a private room in the Tower of Justice, overlooking the Council Chamber. When the Sultan did not agree with the council's decision on any issue, he closed the window, thus signaling to the ministers the need to interrupt the meeting. In this case, the Grand Vizier and the rest of the ministers had to proceed to the Audience Hall to continue discussing the issue, but in the presence of the Sultan.

    The hall of the State Council of Viziers (Kubbeatly) has several features that ensure the administration of justice in the state. In fact, the interior of the Council Chamber can be easily seen from the outside through the gilded grilles. This openness of the premises meant that all decisions of the Council were not confidential and were in the public domain. On the other hand, the fact that the ruler watched the meetings of the Council from his window was proof that although he delegated his powers to the ministers who sat on the Council, he was confident that injustice would not harm the citizens of the Empire in any way.

    Tower of Justice

    The name "zülüflü" ("braided") refers to the braids that hang from each side of their cone-shaped headdresses. Their raised collars and braids prevented them from observing what was happening in the Harem while performing their duties, such as fetching wood for the fireplace. Their commander-in-chief was the Guards Chamberlain.

    In accordance with their assigned duties, they had corresponding titles: Chief of the Guard, Guardian of the Council Chamber, Store Provider, Captain of the Guard, Manufacturer of Dried Fruits and Nuts, Plumber-Builder and Runner.

    Private stables / Sultan's stables

    The Desserts and Sweets Room (Helvahane), built during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent, is divided into four sections. To the right of the entrance and fountain is an inscription dated 1767. This fountain and the inscription Kelime-iTevhid (Muslim Declaration of Faith in the Unity of God) on the door were created during restoration work carried out in 1574. The passage between the Dessert and Sweets Room (Helvahane) and the Sherbet and Jam Room (Şerbethane/reçelhane) is on the short side of the palace. Over the gate of this passage, during the reconstruction work, an inscription was engraved with the name of Mehmed Agha and the date 1699.

    The doors are made in the kündekâri style, i.e. made of wood, decorated with carvings with geometric elements. In the 18th century, a mosque for cooks was built. The wooden thresholds and other wooden structures were destroyed during reconstruction in 1920.

    Under the aforementioned Devşirm system, which existed from the first half of the 15th century until the end of the 17th century, the Ottoman Sultans created a class of loyal servants trained in the fundamental principles of the Muslim religion and Turkish culture. Some of the employees recruited in this way were educated in the palace, while others trained in the army. Ultimately, young people who received such an education were appointed to high-ranking positions in the government apparatus. From the 18th century, these high positions began to be awarded only to native Turks.

    During the initial phase, young people were assigned as apprentices to a Turkish family, where they were taught Turkish language, traditions and other features of Turkish society. At the end of this entire period they were sent to preparatory schools. The most gifted of them were distributed into classes at the Enderun school. Here, students studied in the following rooms: in the Big and Small rooms, corresponding to the dormitory of the expeditionary forces, in the storeroom, in the treasury and in the premises of the Secret Chambers. Students who mastered the symbolic tasks about the functionality of each room subsequently had the opportunity to climb the government career ladder directly to the post of Grand Vizier (Greatest Minister of Defense of the State Seal of the Sultan).

    The Enderun Courtyard is designed in such a way that the ruler's personal chambers always rise above the other buildings of the palace. The premises used by the Sultan were called the Conqueror's Kiosk (FatihKöşkü), the Secret Chamber and the Pool Pavilion. These rooms were located centrally in the inner part of the courtyard, while the rooms used by the students of the Enderun School were located on its outer borders. These rooms, opening onto a courtyard through their verandas, had such interior features as a small hall surrounded by dormitory rooms, a glass room and a bathhouse (hammam).

    The Enderun chambers were arranged in a hierarchical order according to the level of the training classes. The premises of the Small and Large rooms were located on both sides of the Gate of Happiness (Bâb-üsSaade). And the chambers of the expeditionary forces (SeferliKoğuşu), erected in the 17th century after the demolition of the hammam of Sultan Selim II, were premises for the lower rank students of the Enderun school. The remaining rooms belonged to the pantry, treasury and Secret Chambers. Also in this direction is the Ağalar Camii Mosque. In the middle of the Enderun courtyard was the Pool Pavilion, which was destroyed in the 18th century and replaced by the Enderun Library (Ahmed III Library).

    The establishment of a new army in 1826 after the abolition of the Janissary corps was also the reason for the creation new system education. After this year, the school and the Enderun Institute began to gradually lose their importance.

    Bâbü"s-saade (Gate of Happiness)

    The Gate of Happiness or Gate of Bliss (Bâbü’s-saâde or Bab-üsSaâdet) is the entrance to the palace courtyard (Enderûn), also known as the third courtyard, and separates the outer part of the palace (Birûn) from the inner one.

    The third courtyard contains the palace's private and residential buildings, including the Enderyun School. The Sultan used these gates, which personified his power, as well as Divan Square only on special occasions, such as the enthronement ceremony (cülûs) and religious holidays (ArifeDivanı and BayramlaşmaTöreni). These days of religious and festival holidays The Sultan sat on his throne in front of the gates, while officials and officials paid him respect.

    The gate represents the presence of the ruler in the palace. No one could pass through them without the permission of the overlord. Even the Grand Vizier was granted such permission only on certain days and in special cases. The Gate of Bliss, which is the main door to the ruler’s personal chambers, always remained locked. And uncoordinated penetration through them was regarded as a strict violation of the law and a challenge to the authority of the Sultan.

    The gate was under the control of the Chief Eunuch of the Harem (nicknamed Bâbü’s-saâdeAğası), as well as under the control of his subordinates. The gate was erected during the original construction of Topkapi Palace in the 15th century as a colonnaded passage with a dome supported by marble columns. They are made in the Rococo style and have decorations dating back to the era of the reign of Abdul Hamid I and Selim III (1789-1807).

    The wooden dome, resting on four marble columns, is a reflection of the Turkish Baroque style. It was erected during the reign of Abdul Hamid I (1775). And the simple decorations of the ceiling and cornices, the flags on the dome and its rim were made in the Empire style during the reign of Mahmud II (1808-1839).

    On the stone of the front façade are engraved: the inscription “In the name of our Lord, the Gracious and the Merciful,” the monogram of Mahmud II, written by his own hand. The monograms of Abdul Hamid were inscribed on the side facades. And on the rear facade there are inscriptions with the names of some rulers of the Ottoman Empire. These records also contain mention of reconstructions carried out over this gate.

    On the opposite side of the gate were the quarters of the Chief Harem Eunuch (Bâbü’s-saâdeAğası) and the White Eunuchs (Akağalar), who were responsible for the third courtyard. The entrance to these rooms was through an arched passage (dating from the 16th century) from Divan Square.

    ArzOdası (Audience Hall or Throne Room)

    The monogram engraved on the marble on both sides of the door and belonging to Sultan Abdülmecid was, of course, added during the restoration. The walls were covered in the 19th century with ceramic panels dating from the 16th century. Fountain with right side from the entrance was installed by decree of Suleiman the Magnificent. Above the entrance, which was used by the rulers, there is a monogram of Mustafa III (1757-1774), containing notes on the reconstruction. This hall also has an epigraph of Mahmud II engraved above the aforementioned Pişkeş (for bringing in gifts) entrance.

    Sultan Ahmed III Library/Enderun Library

    The interior of the Sultan Ahmed III Library is decorated with Iznik ceramics from the 16th century. The ceramics were brought to Topkapi Palace from other imperial palaces and mansions in Istanbul. The domes and vaults of the library are decorated with floral motifs made of malakâri decorative plaster - a technique that personifies the era of tulips. Door and window shutters are made of ivory, decorated with classic geometric patterns. The window and door frames are covered with 17th century tiles. The ceilings are decorated with stone, decorated with geometric figures, the same as in the Pavilions of Baghdad and Yerevan. Between the windows are bookcases with silver trim.

    The library's book collection consists of books from the personal collection of Ahmed III, as well as books that belonged to Abdul Hamid I and Selim III. These books were placed in the Palace Library building in 1965.

    Expeditionary Force Dormitory

    The Expeditionary Forces Dormitory (SeferliKoğuşu) was built in 1635 by order of Murad IV (1623-1640) on the territory freed up after the demolition of the hammam (HünkârHamamı). On the territory of the old dormitory of the expeditionary forces there was a fountain opposite the hammam, baths, a small mosque and the dormitory building itself.

    The building was demolished and rebuilt by order of Ahmed III in 1719 due to the construction of the Enderun Library. During the same period, passages with columns belonging to the destroyed Pool Pavilion were added to the front of the building.

    The structure of the building, supported by seven columns, is perfectly preserved to this day. The cylindrical vaults of the main hall of the expeditionary forces dormitory, consisting of two halls connected to each other, are supported by arches and columns. The small hall, belonging to the sea front, has a wooden ceiling. The epigraph engraved above the entrance contains the monogram of Sultan Mahmud II (1808-1839), who ordered the reconstruction of the premises.

    Shirvan, glass boxes and wooden beds were removed from the halls during the reconstruction carried out in 1916. The inscription above the main entrance to the premises contains the name of the ruler Mehmed Resad V, who initiated all these reconstructions and changes in the year of the Hijri (1916 according to the Gregorian calendar).

    The epigraph reads: “This building, being the dormitory of the Enderun Expeditionary Force, has been restored and converted into the Imperial Treasury in accordance with the sovereign order and highest instructions of the Emir of the Faithful, His Majesty Sultan Mehmed Resad Khan.”

    After several restoration works, the collection of the Sultan’s wardrobe (PadişahElbiseleriKoleksiyonu) with valuable samples of costumes, numbering about 2,500 pieces, as well as numerous and expensive kaftans of the Sultans, was placed in the chamber.

    Pavilion of Sultan Mehmed II (the Conqueror) / Enderun Treasury

    The Conqueror's Pavilion, which Mehmed Fatih erected as a house for contemplating the surroundings, was soon converted into a place where the palace treasures were kept. Since the treasury was significantly enriched after the Egyptian expedition of Sultan Selim, the terraces had to be covered with walls in order to protect especially valuable exhibits.

    During the reign of Mahmud I (1730-1754), the green porphyry columns located opposite the main entrance were walled up. This created an additional space, nicknamed the Ambassadors' Treasury (ElçiHazinesi).

    Thus, main entrance The pavilion and the entire outer façade of the building were hidden by walls, windows and doors. Additionally, a goldsmith's workshop was added to the building in 1766. Its purpose was a complete repair of the most valuable items in the Treasury collection. All these additions were completely removed during subsequent reconstructions of the premises carried out in the 16th century.

    Chamber of Treasures

    The sultans who ruled Turkey until the second half of the 16th century always sat in this room before their ascension ceremony. They continued to maintain this tradition until the very end of the Empire, and also visited the Pavilion of the Holy Robe every year on the 14th and 15th day of Ramadan as part of an official ceremony.

    The Pavilion of the Sacred Robe was maintained and restored by all the Sultans with great care and respect for the sacred relics kept in it. Each ruler at one time attached great importance to maintaining this place in the best condition.

    This room has the most original tile design compared to all other Sultan pavilions. The tiles date from the end of the 16th century, and are fully preserved to this day.

    Aghalar Mosque

    Aghalar Mosque is the largest mosque in the palace. It also has the oldest structure, dating back to the 15th century and built during the reign of Mehmed the Conqueror.

    The Sultan, squires and pages came here to pray. The mosque is positioned diagonally across the courtyard to face Mecca. It is located in the Enderun Courtyard next to the Sacred Robe Pavilion on the Golden Horn side. Its main part is covered by a large vault, built in the 18th century. On both sides of the mosque there are two narrow spaces. In the part of the building facing the Pavilion of the Sacred Robe, there is an altar (mihrab). And the part that faces in the opposite direction from the pavilion serves as a prayer place for squires from the army dormitory, for employees of the storeroom and treasury. Three windows at the back of the large part of the room look out onto the Harem, where the Sultans, as well as the wives and mothers of the lord, pray.

    The walls of the Aghalar Mosque are covered with 17th-century tiles. The most interesting examples are the tiles covered with Arabic writing containing the signature of Archer Mustafa. This place was provided to high-ranking armorers for prayers.

    The most significant reconstruction in the history of this brick and stone building was organized by the architect Mehmed Agha. The epigraph on the inside of the door dates back to 1722 according to the Gregorian calendar and contains the inscription “Es-Seyyid Mehmed Ağa”.

    The building was used as a warehouse from 1881 until it was restored in 1916. A new inscription, inscribed in 1928, enshrines the main provisions of the reconstruction of the mosque carried out in 1925.

    Books from the library of Ahmed III (Enderun Library) and other palace libraries were transferred to this structure. Thus, all the palace libraries were combined into one called the “New Palace Library”.

    Pantry/Food Chamber (KilerliKoğuşu)

    The storeroom was built by order of Mehmed Fatih between the Conqueror's Pavilion and the Treasury, in accordance with the plan of the Topkapi Palace. The head of the Food Chamber was also responsible for the kitchen of the imperial court as a whole. The pages of the Food Chamber had to prepare all kinds of dishes for the Sultan, set the table and clear the ruler’s dining table, and also maintain kitchen utensils in proper conditions.

    Besides cooking various dishes For the Ottoman ruler, such as marshmallows, syrups, sherbets, fresh and dried fruits, the pages made candles, which were subsequently used in all the pavilions, chambers and mosques of the palace. They also prepared medicines for the patients of Enderun Infirmary. In April, they collected “April rain water” and served it to the Sultan, hoping for its healing properties.

    Dormitory at the Chamber of the Sacred Robe / Storage for portraits of Sultans

    In the second half of the 19th century, after the columns of the Privy Chamber of the Enderun Court were walled up, the Chamber of the Sacred Robe itself was converted into the Dormitory for Officials named after the Sacred Robe. The columns, dome and stone walls of this building were created during the reign of Mehmed II (1441-1446/1451-1481). Currently, the chamber is used as a storage room for a collection of portraits of the Sultans.

    Fourth Courtyard of Topkapi Palace

    The next gate opens the opportunity to get into the Sultan's garden, where the ruler spent a lot of time; it was his intimate space, since the Sultan could be alone here. In this courtyard is the Sofa Mosque, the room where circumcisions were performed. From here you can enjoy magnificent views of the Golden Horn, Bosphorus and the Sea of ​​Marmara.

    On the territory of the fourth courtyard there is a Tulip garden and a terrace called Sofa-iHümâyûn or Marble Terrace. The marble terrace was expanded towards the Golden Horn with the addition of new pavilions in the first half of the 17th century during the reigns of Murad IV (1623-1640) and Ibrahim (1640-1648). The arched structures of the Marble Sofa were erected in 1916.

    The Sofa Pavilion, made of wood, was used by the Sultans as a personal pavilion, and Stone Tower(Hekimbaşı Kulesi), used as the home and laboratory of the chief physician of the ruler and located in the Tulip (Lâla) garden, are fully preserved in this moment are in excellent condition.

    Tulip Garden

    In the Tulip garden there were many different vineyards, fruit trees (including orange and lemon), a huge number of all kinds of flower beds filled with roses, tulips, hyacinths, carnations and jasmine. This garden, overlooking the Sea of ​​Marmara, also houses the Medicine Kiosk, also known as the Pavilion of Sultan Abdülmecid, which was built in 1840 in the Empire style and was the last significant addition to the palace, as well as the Dressing Room (EsvapOdası) and the Sofa Mosque (Sofa Camii).

    Tulip Garden is connected to Gulhane Park, currently a public recreation area, and to the Imperial Rose Garden, Mabeyn Gate. This gate was designed by the famous Ottoman architect Sarkis Balyan. He also designed the previously mentioned Medicine Kiosk.

    Circumcision Hall

    The Hall of Circumcision (SünnetOdası) was built during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent. It is located on the most impressive part of the courtyard, overlooking the Galata area of ​​the city. Initially, this place was conceived as a summer pavilion (Yazlık Oda). However, it began to be used as a Hall where the circumcision ceremony of the princes-sons of Ahmed III (1703 -1730) took place (circumcision is a religious Muslim tradition, symbolizing purity and purity).

    At the rear, with a single room and a square layout, is a small kitchen. The façade of the building, covered with blue and white tiles, is the work of the famous 16th century muralist Shah Kullu. The building was rebuilt in 1640 by order of Ibrahim (1640-1648) during the reconstruction of the terrace.

    Yerevan Pavilion

    The Yerevan Pavilion was built in 1635 by order of Murad IV (1623-1640) as a tribute to the conquest of Yerevan on part of the land freed up by reducing the size of the pond that had existed in the courtyard of Sofa-i Humayun since the reign of Mehmed the Conqueror (1451- 1481). It was designed by the Chief Architect of that period, Koka Kasim Agha. The structure of the pavilion building has the shape of an octagon.

    In 1733, during the reign of Mahmud I (1730-1754), some especially valuable copies from the collection of books of the palace library were kept in the offices of the Yerevan pavilion. Late books from the personal collections of Osman III (1754-1757) and Mustafa III (1757-1774) were also included in the collection of the Topkapi Palace Museum Library.

    The Yerevan pavilion was also called sarıkodası (Hall of Turbans), since according to some sources sacred relics from the Pavilion of the Sacred Robe were kept here during the traditional cleaning before the ceremony of the Sultans’ ascension to the throne.

    Baghdad Pavilion

    The Baghdad Pavilion (BağdadKöşkü) is located on the right side of the Marble Terrace. It was erected in 1639 in honor of the conquest of the great Baghdad by Sultan Murad IV (1623 - 1640). The main architect was Koka Kasim Agoi.

    All over the façade are inscribed scriptures from the Koran in white CelîSülüs (Arabic style of writing using capital letters only) on a blue background. And above the entrance there is a couplet in Persian.

    Books donated by Abdul-Ahmid I (1774-1789) and Selim I (1780-1807) were placed in the pavilion's cabinets, whose wooden doors were decorated with mother-of-pearl, tortoiseshell and ivory. Books from the collection of the Baghdad Pavilion Library were connected to the main library of Topkapi Palace after it began functioning as a museum. A small kitchen at the rear of the building was used to serve coffee to visitors to the pavilion.

    Iftariye Pavilion

    The gilded Iftariye Pavilion, also known as the Iftariye Kiosk (İftariyeKöşkü), was erected by order of Ibrahim (1640-1648). Due to its location, this pavilion rises above the Topkapi Palace gardens, the Golden Horn and the Galata Tower, giving it a magnificent view of the surrounding area.

    Sultans often came here to have dinner and watch the sunset under the roof of this pavilion during the month of Ramadan. In some sources it is called the “Moon Place”, where the rulers received congratulations from the inhabitants of the Enderun court during the Bayram holiday ( last day in the month of Ramadan) and watched various sporting events from here.

    The Sofa Pavilion was also called the Kara Mustafa Pasha Pavilion or MerdivenbaşıKasrı. It was built during the reign of Mehmed IV (1648-1687). Its design, consisting of two separate parts, was called the Divan Hall (Divanhane) or Sherbet Room (ŞerbetOdası). It received such names thanks to a series of reconstructions carried out during the reigns of Ahmed III (1703-1730) and Mahmud (1730-1754).

    The pavilion, from which the sultans watched sporting events, received guests and held conversations, was built by the pages of the Enderun court. Throughout its existence, several reconstruction works were carried out. Currently, it is the first building in history made in the Turkish Rococo style.

    Sofa Mosque

    Originally, on the site where the Sofa Mosque now stands, there was a Shadow Kiosk or Swordsmen's Kiosk (SilahdarağaKöşkü), built by order of Mehmed the Conqueror at the time when Topkapi Palace was first erected. According to some sources, the Sofa Mosque (Sofa Camii) was built together with a building called Sofa Ocağı during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent.

    In 1809, by order of Mahmud II, the Kiosk of the Swordsmen was destroyed, and in its place the small Sofa Mescit mosque was erected. In 1859, during the reconstruction of the Medicine Pavilion and the Swordsman's Pavilion, by order of Abdul-Mejid, the small Sofa Mosque was destroyed and rebuilt into the Sofa Mosque-Terrace, which has survived to this day. From the epigraph inscribed on it it is clear that the mosque was built so that employees of the Chamber of the Treasury and the Treasury could pray in it.

    Medicine Pavilion

    The Medicine Pavilion is the most modern building throughout the Topkapi Palace. It was designed by the architect Sarkis Balayan, who also designed the Dolmabahce Palace, by order of Sultan Abdulmecid in 1859. It was originally called the New Kiosk, but was later renamed the Medicine Kiosk.

    It was designed in the likeness of the Shadow Kiosk and the Archers' Kiosk, dating from the 15th century. And some parts of the building date back to the Byzantine era. During the period in history when the Sultans lived in the Dolmabahçe and Yıldız palaces, they visited Topkapi Palace only for short periods to participate in the enthronement ceremony (Cülus) or to pay the traditional visit of the Sacred Robe. On these occasions, they usually stayed at the Medicine Pavilion.

    The Tower of the Chief Teacher (BaşLalaKulesi), also known as the Pavilion of the Chief Physician of the Sultan (HekimbaşıOdası) was built so that Mehmed II (the Conqueror) could survey the surrounding area from its top.

    This building was a kind of palace pharmacy, named after the main palace doctors, ophthalmologists and surgeons, whose number reached 60-70 people. They belonged to the Ottoman state system called “Bîrûn” (as opposed to Enderûn, which means internal, Bîrûn means external).

    The term Bîrûn was used to designate a group of civil servants who worked not only in the interior of the palace, but also in the exterior, outside the Sultan's private quarters. In addition to the Chief Physician's Chamber, the courtyard also contained two additional pharmacies and five hospitals, one of which was dedicated specifically to the needs of the Harem.

    The Sultan, as well as all the inhabitants of the Harem and the Enderun courtyard, were treated by a team of physicians, ophthalmologists and surgeons, under the responsibility of the Chief Physician. The potions and medicines that were prescribed to patients were prepared by medical workers under the leadership of the Chief Physician. These special potions were first prepared and then poured into special flasks, vials and bottles.

    Abdulhak Molla, who served during the reign of Abdul Mecid (1839-1861), was the last Chief Physician of the Topkapi Palace. After Topkapi ceased to be the residence of the Ottoman Sultans, the Pavilion of the Chief Physician was used as a music room, and later as a weapons workshop. At the beginning of the 20th century, the restored building of the Chief Physician's Pavilion was used to store medical and pharmaceutical materials.

    The dressing room is a place in the palace where all the clothes and jewelry of the Sultans were kept since the reign of Mehmed Fatih. The task of proper storage of clothing and jewelry in the early period of history rested with the Muslin Master (DülbentAğası). In later periods of history, this function was performed by the Head of the Garment Store (Esvabcıbaşı) and his employees.

    Treasures of Topkapi

    For many centuries, Turkish sultans collected various rarities and jewelry. They fell into their hands in different ways: as a trophy after successful military campaigns, as gifts from other sovereigns, as confiscated items from the Sultan’s enemies, as a result of purchase or exchange. Over time, a huge number of these things have accumulated, which are put on public display in summer palace Sultan Mehmed II. The most famous of these things are associated with legends and creepy stories.

    • Topkapi dagger. By order of Mahmud I, it was made as a gift to the Shah of Iran. The ambassadors went to the Shah with this gift, but on the way they learned that he had died and returned back. So the dagger ended up in the treasury. From that time on, he began to serve as a weapon for the murder of rival brothers of the ruling sultan. More than a dozen were deprived of their lives, and the clock built into the handle showed the time of the murder.
    • "Kashikchi", the spoon maker's diamond. A large diamond, which is framed by another 49 small diamonds. According to one legend, one poor man found this stone in a pile of garbage. Not knowing its true value, he exchanged it with the jeweler for three spoons, and the jeweler, seeking favor, presented the diamond to the Sultan. According to another version, a French officer purchased the diamond in India. In France, he sold it, then it was resold more than once until it ended up in the hands of Napoleon’s mother, and she put it up for auction. Grand Vizier Ali Pasha subsequently acquired the diamond. Sultan Mahmud II accused the vizier of treason and took the diamond from him, so it ended up in the treasury.
    • There are several thrones on display in the hall. One of them is forged from pure gold and belonged to the Iranian Shah Ismail. The throne was taken from Persia during the campaign as a trophy by Sultan Selim I. Another sandalwood throne, richly inlaid with gold, belonged to Selim III. There is also a “Bairam” throne made of gold here. It was used during the sultans' accession ceremony.
    • In addition to jewelry, the main Muslim shrines are kept in Topkapi. Banner of the Prophet Muhammad (length more than 3 m). Sultan Selim I brought it from his successful Egyptian campaign. In addition to the banner, there is the sacred mantle of Muhammad, his two swords and a bow in a golden case. Here is also a letter from the Prophet to the ruler of Mukavkas, a personal seal, beard hair and a footprint on a stone.
    • In addition to Muslim shrines, the treasury also contains many Christian relics that came here after the conquest of Constantinople. Fragments of the skull of St. Peter the Apostle, hand of St. John the Baptist and numerous arks with particles of the relics of saints. Among the religious relics is Abraham's pewter pan.

    Excursions to Topkapi Palace

    It will take all day to see everything. This must be taken into account when going to Topkapi. But any such inspection will not be so interesting without the guide’s story. His services can be ordered either by e-mail or in the museum itself. The guide's work is paid separately from the cost of the ticket itself.

    • Children under 12 years old are given a 50% discount, and those under 9 years old are completely free.
    • The price of the excursion will depend on the number of people in the group, if it is 10 people then about 220 dollars, if 1 or 2 people then 150 dollars.

    The duration of the excursion is up to 3 hours. Guides work on all days except one – Tuesday.

    The museum is open all week except Tuesday. You also need to know that in government and Religious holidays The museum starts working in the afternoon.

    Opening hours of Topkapi Palace

    • Winter season: from October 30 to April 15. The Museum, Harem and Church of St. Irene can be visited from 9:00 to 16:45

    ATTENTION: ticket kiosks close at 16:00

    • Summer season: from April 15 to October 30. The Museum, Harem and Church of St. Irene can be visited from 9:00 to 18:45

    ATTENTION: ticket kiosks close at 18:00

    Ticket price to Topkapi:

    • Children under 12 years old have free admission (with the exception of the harem, children under 6 years old can visit it free of charge).
    • Adult ticket - 10 euros (the price does not include a visit to the Harem)
    • Entrance ticket to the Harem - 6 euros
    • Entrance ticket to the Church of St. Irene - 5 euros

    It is worth remembering that it is not enough to buy just one ticket to visit all the places in Topkapi: the entrance to the harem and the church of St. Irina for a fee. It is best to visit the palace in the warm season, since in winter it is not heated, and spending the whole day in the cold exploring the sight is not so comfortable.

    Access for people with disabilities

    • Admission is free for all disabled people and one accompanying person.
    • Some sections and areas of the palace are inaccessible to wheelchair users due to stairs.
    • During your visit, if you require a wheelchair, you can contact the information desk at the museum entrance.

    Unavailable sections:

    • Imperial Council Hall or Domed Chamber
    • Portraits of Ottoman Sultans
    • Circumcision room, Koka Mustafa Pasha kiosk, Revan kiosk and Baghdad kiosk
    • Library of Sultan Ahmet III. or the Enderun Library
    • Audience Hall

    Available sections:

    • Weapons and armor
    • Courtyard in the palace
    • Imperial wardrobe collection
    • Treasury Rooms / Fatih Pavilion
    • Sacred Relics
    • Harem
    • Restroom

    For guests with disabilities there is a toilet in the palace. This toilet can be found near the second gate (Gate of Welcome) in the right corner in the second courtyard of the palace.

    Forbidden:

    • Photography is prohibited inside the exhibition halls
    • It is prohibited to enter the museum sections with baby strollers. Please remember this rule before purchasing your ticket.
    • It is prohibited to enter the department of sacred relics wearing shorts, miniskirts, or T-shirts.
    • A permit is required to use a tripod for filming.

    Cafes and restaurants:

    First yard:

    • Restaurant "Karakol" (restaurant)

    Second courtyard:

    • Cafe BKG Museum (Cafe - Snacks)

    Fourth courtyard:

    • Restaurant Konyalı

    Shops on site

    There are several bookstores in Topkapi Palace. They offer wide range manuals, books and art books, as well as art, replicas and goods associated with temporary exhibitions.

    Visitors will find a museum guide and souvenirs here.

    The museum has three museum shops. One of them is located in the first courtyard of the palace and to get into it you don’t need to buy admission ticket, the rest are in the second and third courtyard of the palace.


    How to get to Topkapi Palace

    From Ataturk Airport:

    From the airport building you can go down to the metro (located directly under the airport). By metro take the M1 line to Aksaray station. Next, get out of the metro and take the tram to the Sultanahmet stop (the tram stop is located immediately when you exit the metro). From the Sultanahmet stop you can walk to Topkapi Palace. You just need to go through the Hagia Sophia Museum and the Hurrem Sultan Baths.

    By sea:

    The closest port station to Topkapi Palace Museum is called Sirkeci. From Sirkeci Station you go to the Istanbul Municipality building. From there you need to walk to the entrance to Gulhane Park, and then just follow the signs that say “Topkapi Palace Museum”.

    Topkapi Palace was the center of a great empire for centuries and is one of the largest palace complexes in the world, containing everything necessary for the life and activities of the Turkish Sultan and his entourage. Treasures collected by the sultans over centuries are concentrated here, and are now on display for all to see.